Man Hospitalized After Marathon Karaoke Session Leaves Him With a Collapsed Lung

A man who said he belted out 10 high-pitched karaoke tunes in a row was admitted to hospital in China with a collapsed lung.

The enthusiastic karaoke singer has been identified as a 65-year-old with the surname Wang, reported the South China Morning Post, an English-language newspaper based in Hong Kong. According to the media outlet, the man is from Nanchang County in Jiangxi Province.

Describing the injury after his hospitalization, Wang was quoted as saying: "I was very excited in the heat of the moment and after singing a few songs with very high notes, I found myself having breathing difficulties." The songster said he initially felt a pain in his left lung.

The newspaper reported the man had ignored the issue at first but was taken to a local hospital approximately 24 hours later when the pain grew. Doctors then found the collapsed organ.

The newspaper sourced the man's comments from an interview he gave to PearVideo, a video platform in China hosting viral content that is then licensed out to media outlets. South China Morning Post reported the clip attracted millions of views on Weibo, a vast social media platform popular in the country that is similar to sites like Facebook and Twitter.

The newspaper, citing the PearVideo footage, said a doctor named Peng Bin-fei reported the injury could have been life-threatening, noting it had likely been caused by "singing high notes." He advised against taking part in karaoke sessions lasting more than two hours at a time.

It remains unclear which songs Wang had been singing.

According to the Mayo Clinic, a non-profit medical research organization, the technical name for a collapsed lung is a pneumothorax. Symptoms include sudden chest pain and shortness of breath.

"A pneumothorax occurs when air leaks into the space between your lung and chest wall. This air pushes on the outside of your lung and makes it collapse," an online fact sheet explains.

"A pneumothorax can be caused by a blunt or penetrating chest injury, medical procedures, or damage from underlying lung disease. Or it may occur for no obvious reason.

The clinic website adds: "On some occasions, a collapsed lung can be a life-threatening event. Treatment for a pneumothorax usually involves inserting a needle or chest tube between the ribs to remove the excess air. However, a small pneumothorax may heal on its own."

Earlier this week, an 18-year-old student living in Florida took to Twitter and Instagram to warn social media users about the potential dangers of vaping after he suffered a collapsed lung.

The teen, called Chance Ammirata, said he was rushed to hospital after having sharp pains in his left side. As previously reported, he claimed to have never smoked cigarettes, instead using products from the electronic cigarette company Juul. He urged people to abandon vaping after having to undergo surgery, saying medical experts found black spots and a hole in his collapsed lung.

File photo: Microphone in a karaoke bar. A man who belted out 10 high-pitched tunes in a row was recently admitted to hospital in China after suffering a collapsed lung, local outlets reported. iStock