Waukesha Suspect Darrell Brooks Released on Cash Bond Before Driving Into Parade

Darrell Brooks, the suspect in custody after a red SUV sped into a Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin, on Sunday, had previously been released from custody on Friday after posting a cash bond, according to online court records.

At least five people died and dozens more were injured after the driver of a red vehicle plowed into the crowd of people at the parade in the Milwaukee suburb at around 4:40 p.m. on Sunday.

Brooks, 39, was identified as the person taken into custody on Sunday night by NBC News, citing law enforcement officials. He has been charged with five counts of intentional homicide.

Police in Waukesha after parade incident
Police and emergency personnel work on a crime scene on November 21, 2021 in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Jim Vondruska/Getty Images

At a news conference Sunday night, Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said that a "person of interest" was in custody, but he gave no details about the person or a possible motive.

According to online court records, Brooks, of Milwaukee, was recently released from custody after posting a $1,000 cash bond.

It's not clear exactly when Brooks was released, but the court records state he was in custody when he made a court appearance on November 12. The record was updated to show a cash bond had been posted on November 19, but a note states the actual date the bond was posted with the sheriff was November 11.

The bond was posted in a case where Brooks is facing felony charges of bail jumping and second-degree recklessly endangering safety with domestic abuse assessments. He is also facing misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and battery, both with domestic abuse assessments.

Brooks has a criminal history in Wisconsin dating back to 1999, according to court records.

He is also facing felony charges, including two counts of recklessly endangering safety and possession of a firearm while convicted of a felony, in a separate case filed in Milwaukee County last year.

An attorney listed for Brooks in that record could not immediately be contacted for comment.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing, with assistance from the Wisconsin Department of Justice. "What took place in Waukesha today is sickening, and I have every confidence that those responsible will be brought to justice," Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, the state's top law enforcement officer, said in a tweet.

President Joe Biden was briefed about the incident on Sunday night, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Twitter. "Our team is in close touch with local officials to offer any support and assistance needed. Our hearts are with the families and the entire community," she wrote.

Update 11/22/21 10.25 a.m. ET: This article has been updated with additional information.