Will There Be a Government Shutdown? Latest Updates on Negotiations Between Trump, Democrats

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday that President Donald Trump will find other ways to fund his long-promised southern border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border in order to avert a partial government shutdown.

Trump had been threatening to shut down the government when funding runs out at midnight on Friday if Congress did not appropriate $5 billion for the wall.

But the White House appears to be walking that back, with Sanders telling Fox News they "have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion."

"At the end of the day, we don't want to shut down the government, we want to shut down the border," Sanders said. "There are certainly a number of different funding sources that we've identified that we can use, that we can couple with money that would be given through congressional appropriations that would help us get to that $5 billion that the president needs in order to protect our border."

Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill had been largely in the dark about the latest negotiations to keep the government open until Sanders's announcement, with GOP senators unsure of what President Donald Trump's next move would be.

With roughly 75 percent of the government already funded, Congress must pass something the president is willing to sign that will fund the remaining 25 percent by midnight on Friday. Even a partial shutdown would result in hundreds of thousands of government employees having to work without a paycheck, and even more would be forced to go home and forgo pay altogether.

The disagreements in funding have to do with the Department of Homeland Security, and specifically Trump's wall. The president told House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer last week that he'd be "proud to shut down the government for border security."

But Senate Republicans, as of Monday night, appeared to not know what exactly the president would do, telling reporters that they still had not heard from Trump. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has yet to schedule a vote on any sort of funding measure, whether that be long- or short-term. And by the Democrats' account, there are still no ongoing talks to avert a shutdown.

The House is also not in session again until Wednesday, leaving both chambers and the White House little time to hash out a deal.

"Unfortunately, since our meeting last Tuesday, Leader Pelosi and I have still not heard from the White House whether they will accept either of these options," Schumer said Monday on the Senate floor. "Nor have we even heard from our Republican colleagues in the Senate or House about what they might support to avoid a shutdown. Not a peep. They're nowhere to be found."

The president previously said he would not accept a spending bill unless it provides at least $5 billion allocated for the wall. Schumer has noted he'd support roughly $1.3 to $1.6 billion in border security, noting that that does not mean wall funding. It's unclear if Pelosi would support such a proposal in the House.

GOP Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama, chairman of the Appropriations Committee, told reporters on Monday after meeting with McConnell that Trump could make an announcement about the issue later that day. But he never did.

Shelby added that Republicans "don't know" what the president wants.

"We're talking about how to resolve our dilemma, which is what we all need to do," he said.

There are three likely outcomes to what could happen when the clock strikes midnight on Friday: Congress passes another two-week spending bill, lawmakers pass an omnibus bill, which would fund the remaining portions of the government while including additional funds for border security (but not the wall), or the government shuts down.

Because of the 60-vote threshold required in the Senate, Trump will need at least some Democrats to sign on to whatever he proposes to GOP leadership.

Update: This story has been updated to include new information and quotes from Sarah Huckabee Sanders.