Dalian Atkinson: Former Aston Villa Player Dies After Police Taser Him

Dalian Atkinson
Portrait of Dalian Atkinson, of Aston Villa, in 1993. Atkinson died in the early hours of Monday after he was Tasered by police. Anton Want/Getty

A former Aston Villa footballer has died after he was shot by police using a Taser gun in Shropshire, England.

Officers were called to a home in Telford in the early hours of Monday morning amid concerns "for the safety of an individual."

West Mercia Police gave Dalian Atkinson, 48, medical treatment after he was Tasered but he died around 90 minutes later, according to Sky News.

An ambulance spokesman said while Atkinson was being taken to Princess Royal Hospital his condition deteriorated and he suffered a cardiac arrest. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the medical facility.

The police use of Tasers is intended as a non-lethal weapon.

The incident has now been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

West Mercia Police put a statement on its website that read: "West Mercia Police can confirm that officers responded to a report for the concern for the safety of an individual at approximately 1.30 a.m. this morning at an address in Telford.

"Upon arrival, Taser was deployed and a 48-year-old man, who subsequently received medical attention, was pronounced dead at approximately 3 a.m.

"West Mercia Police are unable to comment any further as the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as is normal procedure, and will assist the IPCC with their inquiries."

Twenty-four years ago to the day, Atkinson scored Aston Villa's first ever goal in the inaugural season of the FA Premier League, an event highlighted by the club on its website on August 15.

Atkinson is remembered by football fans for a solo goal against Wimbledon in a 3-2 away win on October 3, 1992, which won a BBC Match of the Day Goal of the Season competition for the 1992-93 season, when Villa finished runners-up.