Gaige Grosskreutz Testifies Rittenhouse 'Re-Racked' His Weapon While Holding Him at Gunpoint

Gagie Grosskreutz, the lone survivor in the Kenosha shooting, testified he saw Kyle Rittenhouse re-rack his AR-15 despite holding Grosskreutz at gunpoint.

During the second week of the Rittenhouse trial, Grosskreutz took the stand to describe the events that took place on the evening of August 25, 2020 in Wisconsin.

Rittenhouse, who was 17 years old at the time of the shooting, is charged with shooting Grosskreutz in the arm and fatally shooting Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber.

"After he pointed his rifle at me, I put my hands up," Grosskreutz told the jury on Monday.

He said that despite approaching Rittenhouse with his hands in the air, Rittenhouse made "re-racking" motion that would load the next bullet into the chamber of the AR-15.

"Re-racking the weapon, in my mind, meant the defendant wasn't accepting my surrender," Grosskreutz said.

The 27-year-old, who was armed with a pistol, testified that he believed the best course of action was to close the distance between him and Rittenhouse, but that he never had the opportunity.

Grosskreutz told the jury he felt he "had to do something to prevent myself from being shot or killed" but that he "was never trying to kill the defendant."

"In that moment, I was trying to preserve my own life," he testified.

Gagie Grosskreutz Kyle Rittenhouse Shooting AR-15 Kenosha
Kyle Rittenhouse, center, looks back as Kenosha County Sheriff's deputies enter the courtroom to escort him out of the room during a break in the trial at the Kenosha County Courthouse on November 5, in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Sean Krajacic/Pool

Grosskreutz, who is trained as a paramedic, said that despite being armed, he chose not to shoot his own gun at Rittenhouse because "that's not the kind of person that I am. That's not why I was out there.

"That's not someone I am and not someone whom I'd want to become," he added.

Grosskreutz testified that he never shot his gun that night.

Earlier in his testimony, Grosskreutz recalled volunteering as a medic at a series of racial justice protests in Milwaukee during the days following George Floyd's death. He said he attended roughly 75 protests before the night he was shot in August.

Video and photo presented to the jury showed Grosskreutz wearing a hat that said "paramedic" and carrying medical supplies on the night of August 25, 2020.

Grosskreutz also testified to being armed that night with a pistol.

"I believe in the Second Amendment. I'm for people's right to carry and bear arms," he told the jury. "And that night was no different than any other day. It's keys, phone, wallet, gun."

Grosskreutz said he had a permit to carry but it was had not been renewed at the time of the shooting.

Correction 11/08/21 2:36 p.m ET. The headline was updated to reflect that Grosskreutz testified he saw Rittenhouse "re-rack" his weapon; it originally said that he reloaded it.