McDonald's in Georgia Walmart Fails Health Check as Inspector Finds Cockroaches Close to Sink and 'Mold-like Substance' in Ice Machine

Customers of a Walmart in Georgia expressed shock after a McDonald's restaurant in the store failed a health inspection due to roach activity and other violations.

The DeKalb County Board of Health said the McDonald's on Fairington Road in Lithonia had received a low score of 65 out of 100 after six violations were recorded last Thursday.

The inspector found a "black mold-like substance" on some ice in the rear ice machine, the lid of an ice machine contained a "black build-up," food items were being stored at the wrong temperature, soda nozzles had an unidentified build-up and units were "unclean with debris."

In addition, roaches had been discovered close to a main hand wash sink, rear coolers and a table used by employees, the report said, grading the McDonald's a "U." Like a school exam, health inspections are marked out of 100 points and assigned a grade from "A" downwards.

The consequences for not fixing the issues include forced closure.

The health board explained in its report: "A food service [that is] graded 'U' and does not earn at least a grade 'C' within 10 days will be requested to voluntarily close until all violations are corrected or have enforcement action taken to suspend or revoke the food service permit."

One local resident who was visiting the Walmart this week described the situation as "horrible," media outlet WSB-TV reported. Another customer, Theresa Allen, said: "When I go in, I always look at the score. If it is below 100, or maybe 95, then you know that it is not a good place."

The Walmart McDonald's is set for a re-inspection on August 18, the board's report says. Health officials noted the franchise's two previous review results were largely positive. In February this year, the restaurant was given a score of 88. In May last year, it was handed a score of 82.

It is not the first McDonald's in Georgia to face criticism from health inspectors. In June, DeKalb County officials ruled a franchise had failed after a "whitish pink slime" was spotted on the nozzle of a drink machine and raw chicken had been stored in direct contact with other food items.

The Wesley Chapel Road McDonald's was given a score of 59 but passed with a high score of 99 during a follow-up review the next day, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In May, a fast food restaurant in Palm Bay, Florida, was closed after a series of shocking images surfaced on social media showing bugs and rodents had infested the building.

The inspection report filed at the time noted that a "live flying insect" was spotted over the milkshake machine and there were "small flying insects in [the] kitchen food preparation area or food storage area." The establishment was shut down to protect public health and safety, the state's department of health said.

McDonald's in Georgia Walmart Fails Health Check as Inspector Finds Cockroaches Close to Sink and 'Mold-like Substance' in Ice Machine | News