GoFundMe Says Homeless Hero Bobbitt Will Receive All $400K As Police Raids Home of Couple Who Squandered His Cash

GoFundMe vowed on Thursday that homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt will receive the full $400,000 raised by a New Jersey couple after they allegedly squandered the funds.

In November 2017, Kate McClure, 28, and her partner Mark D’Amico, 39, launched a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt, a 35-year-old homeless man, after he gave McClure his last $20 for gas when he found her stranded on a highway in Philadelphia.

However, Bobbitt claims most of the money did not go to him and sued the couple for misusing the donated funds. After it was discovered that the cash had gone missing, police launched an investigation into the couple in a bid to track down the funds.

Bobbitt said he only received $75,000, a camper and an old pickup truck out of the $400,000 and claims the couple squandered the rest of the funds on “a lifestyle they could not afford.”

On Wednesday, during a pre-trial hearing, the judge ordered the couple to give Bobbitt the entire amount owed to him by the fundraiser, but the couple’s lawyer insisted that Bobbitt had already received $200,000 and promised to give the rest to the homeless man after he becomes drug-free, reported The Inquirer Daily News.

A day later, police raided McClure and D’Amico’s house in New Jersey with a search warrant and confiscated their BMW and boxes of items found in their home, reported the New York Post. It is unclear what was inside the boxes.

“Due to the enormous public interest in this matter, I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office and the Florence Township Police Department at the residence of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter,” Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina said in a Facebook statement.

“As of this time, there have been no charges filed. Further updates will be provided as circumstances warrant.”

johnny-bobbitt GoFundMe vowed that homeless hero Johnny Bobbitt will receive the full $400K balance raised for him by a couple who allegedly squandered his cash. GoFundMe

Meanwhile, GoFundMe issued a statement vowing that Bobbitt will receive the balance of the funds raised and noted that the fundraising platform is secured by a GoFundMe Guarantee.

“Johnny will be made whole and we're committing that he'll get the balance of the funds that he has not yet received or benefitted from. GoFundMe's goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets the support he deserves," the statement read.

"[This] means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement, or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected. We're fulfilling that commitment today and we will continue to work with Johnny's team to make sure he's receiving all donated amounts."

The Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office did not immediately respond to Newsweek’s request for comment.

Join the Discussion

Editor's Pick