Has Occupy Wall Street Changed America?

Popular among tourists and lunching financial workers, New York City's Zuccotti Park might seem like an unlikely place to start a revolution.

But seven years ago, the "privately owned public space" was transformed, seemingly overnight, from a concrete emblem of the Financial District to the birthplace of a political movement that would change the national conversation around economic equality in the U.S. for years to come.

On September 17, 2011, roughly 1,000 protesters crowded into the square under an "Occupy Wall Street" banner, thrusting the issue of economic inequality into the national spotlight.

Demonstrators march in New York's Financial District on September 26, 2011. Hundreds of activists affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations were living in Zuccotti Park near Wall Street. Spencer Platt/Gett

'Revolt in the West'

With many Americans still reeling from the 2008 financial crisis, Canadian anti-consumerist magazine Adbusters had issued a call to action for a "revolution," a "people's revolt in the West."

The February 2011 editorial, written by staff writer Kono Matsu, said it was time for everyday American citizens to "rise up" and take a stand against the social and economic inequality that had become so rife in the country.

"Over 25 million folks are now unemployed, 2.8 million homes are in foreclosure while the investment bankers who brought this economy misery cynically reap obscene bonuses and rewards," the call to action read.

"Blatant corruption rules at the heart of American democracy. And with corporations now treated as people, big business money dictates who is elected to Congress and what laws they shall pass. America has devolved into a corporate state ruled by and for the megacorps," it warned.

An Occupy Wall Street demonstrator in New York City on October 3, 2011. EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty

"What would it take for the people of America to suddenly rise up and say 'Enough!'?" the editorial asked. "If we want to spark a popular uprising in the West—like a million man march on Wall Street—then let's get organized, let's strategize, let's think things through."

In New York City, the message rang loud and clear: It would take a revolution to wake up the rest of America to the failings of the U.S. economic system.

The 99 Percent

Within days of the first Occupy Wall Street protest in Zuccotti Park, thousands had shown up to rally under the movement's banner, with organizers taking advantage of the "public" part of the privately owned land, which ensured that police officers would require the permission of the park's owners to remove demonstrators.

Protesters carried signs branding debt "slavery" and calling for the country's leadership to "make jobs, not war" and put "people before profits."

It was the movement's driving slogan, however, that appeared to really resonate with Americans across the country: "We are the 99 percent."

Protesters affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement rally in Foley Square before marching though lower Manhattan on October 5, 2011. Mario Tama/Getty

With that simple slogan, referring to the wealth distribution in the U.S.—between the wealthiest 1 percent and the rest of the population, the 99 percent—Occupy Wall Street organizers were able to hold up a mirror to the majority of the country. And many did not appear to like what they saw.

While the movement predominantly attracted young protesters under the age of 35, 2011 surveys painted an interesting picture of the demographics of its base early on.

In one survey conducted by Baruch College professor Hector Cordero-Guzman and business analyst Harrison Schultz, 64 percent of those in the Occupy Wall Street movement were found to be under 35, according to the survey, which polled 1,619 people who visited the OccupyWallSt.org website.

Twenty percent of "Occupiers," as they came to be known, were over 45.

Related: One man's journey from the Upper East Side to Occupy Wall Street

Around 26.7 percent of those polled were enrolled in school, while 13 percent of survey-takers were earning more than $75,000 a year. A significantly smaller 2 percent of survey-takers claimed to earn more than $150,000 a year.

Another poll, undertaken by Douglas Schoen, a veteran Democratic Party pollster, found that 15 percent of demonstrators were unemployed, while 18 percent of demonstrators called themselves "part-time employed" or "underemployed," representing a "combined total of 33 percent who are struggling in the labor market," as Aaron Rutkoff put it in The Wall Street Journal.

Beyond Borders

On September 29, 2011, Occupy organizers issued a "declaration of the occupation of New York City."

The declaration laid out a wide-ranging list of demonstrators' grievances, all stemming, organizers said, from the roots of a corrupt economic system.

Occupy Wall Street demonstrators clash with police in lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on November 17, 2011, after protesters attempted to shut down the New York Stock Exchange by blocking roads and tying up traffic. Allison Joyce/Getty

After a number of showdowns with New York police, which resulted in hundreds of arrests, the protesters were finally forced out of Zuccotti Park on November 15, 2011.

However, by that point, the movement had already grown beyond the boundaries of any one locale, with protesters taking their demand for change across the nation, demonstrating at banks, corporate buildings, foreclosed homes and college campuses, where they knew students were accumulating staggering debts.

The Conversation Continues

The Occupy movement attracted widespread support, with many notable figures joining the occupation, including Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, Kanye West, Russell Simmons, Alec Baldwin and Susan Sarandon.

The national conversation it sparked on systemic inequalities in the U.S. was one that even President Barack Obama, still in his first term, was moved to join.

Protesters affiliated with Occupy Wall Street demonstrate at Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on the movement's second anniversary on September 17, 2013. Spencer Platt/Getty

During an October 6 news conference, he said the movement expressed "the frustrations the American people feel, that we had the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression, huge collateral damage all throughout the country."

"And yet," Obama said, "you're still seeing some of the same folks who acted irresponsibly trying to fight efforts to crack down on the abusive practices that got us into this in the first place."

In the end, the Occupy movement may never have achieved the "revolution" it sought to inspire seven years ago, but its impact on the U.S. and the American people cannot be downplayed. Even to this day, Occupy demonstrations continue to crop up in the face of perceived corporate and government wrongdoing.

Demonstrators march through downtown Chicago calling for the abolition of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency on August 16. Scott Olson/Getty

On September 15, dozens of Occupy Wall Street protesters gathered once again to mark not only the seventh anniversary of the movement but also the 10-year anniversary of the Lehman Brothers collapse and the 2008 financial crisis.

Organizers said fellow Occupy activists in the U.K. would also be taking part in the day of action, with activists declaring the Bank of England a "crime scene."

'Occupy Everything'

But the Occupy banner is far from being limited to Wall Street. In the past year alone, the spirit of the Occupy movement has been invoked more than once.

In recent months, it has risen up once again with the development of the "Occupy and Abolish" ICE movement, which has seen Democratic politicians and everyday Americans calling for the end of the embattled U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

Related: What is the Occupy ICE Movement? Federal officers clear protesters from ICE facility in Portland, Oregon

What started as a grass-roots campaign has quickly evolved into a widespread movement, with many calling for ICE to be dismantled over its role in enforcing U.S. immigration policies, including the Trump administration's zero tolerance policy. The latter saw thousands of children separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Activists hold letters reading the word "Treason" in front of the White House during a sunset demonstration to denounce connections between the 2016 Donald Trump campaign and Russia on July 29. The protest was held as part of a weekslong Occupy Lafayette Park protest. ERIC BARADAT/AFP/Getty

The Occupy banner was also lifted in July, when Washington, D.C. saw the rise of its own Occupy movement.

Protesters rallied outside the White House for weeks as part of an Occupy Lafayette Park demonstration accusing Donald Trump of "treason" after the president appeared to dismiss the U.S. intelligence community's findings of Russian meddling in the 2016 election during his controversial summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Seven years later, the idea that Occupy Wall Street came to represent—that Americans can, and perhaps should, take matters into their own hands and disrupt the systems they believe no longer serve them—is alive and well. And in the face of perceived injustice and wrongdoing, it is clear that Occupiers across the country will continue to rise up time and time again.

Editor's Picks

Newsweek cover
  • Newsweek magazine delivered to your door
  • Unlimited access to Newsweek.com
  • Ad free Newsweek.com experience
  • iOS and Android app access
  • All newsletters + podcasts
Newsweek cover
  • Unlimited access to Newsweek.com
  • Ad free Newsweek.com experience
  • iOS and Android app access
  • All newsletters + podcasts