ISIS Claims Responsibility For London Terror Attacker Who Stabbed Two People, Was Shot Dead by Police

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in London, U.K. on Sunday.

"The perpetrator of the attack in Streatham district in south London yesterday is a fighter of Islamic State, and carried out the attack in response to calls to attack the citizens of coalition countries," a statement carried by the group's Amaq news agency said, according to Reuters.

Sudesh Amman, 20, the suspect in the attack, had previously praised the terror group, shared an online al-Qaeda magazine and encouraged his girlfriend to behead her parents.

He was killed by armed officers in Streatham, London at around 2 p.m. on February 2 after two people were stabbed, London's Metropolitan Police said.

One victim, a man in his 40s, was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition, London's Metropolitan Police said. His condition is no longer life-threatening.

The other victim, a woman in her 50s, was treated in hospital for her injuries and has since been released. Another woman, in her 20s, was taken to hospital after sustaining minor injuries thought to have been caused by glass after gunfire.

Police said a device was found strapped to Amman's body that was later determined to be fake.

It has since emerged that Amman had been recently released from prison after serving half of his three year sentence for terrorism offenses.

Amman, who was jailed for possessing and distributing terrorist documents in December 2018, was staying at a hostel in Streatham since his release in January, the Evening Standard reported.

In a statement, U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said his government will announce "further plans for fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences" on Monday.

London mayor Sadiq Khan blasted the government for failing to tackle the issue after a terror attack by another recently released prisoner just over two months ago.

"The man responsible for yesterday's attack in #Streatham was released from prison only days ago having served a sentence for terror offences. Something is clearly going seriously wrong - and the Government have serious questions to answer," he tweeted.

On Sunday, witnesses took to social media to share videos in the aftermath of the shooting. One posted a video to Twitter where the suspect can be seen lying facedown on the street.

The witness told Newsweek in a message on Twitter that he heard screaming and looked outside to see a man wielding what appeared to be a knife.

"I was in the library and I heard people screaming and looked outside a man with a weapon I believe a knife, was shot on sight by armed police," the witness told Newsweek. "The whole of the road was locked off."

Sunday's incident came just over two months after police killed a terrorist in the city. Usman Khan, who had been convicted of plotting a terror attack in 2012, was shot dead on London Bridge after he fatally stabbed two people and injured three others shortly after attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation on November 29.

London attack
Police officers conduct a search on Streatham High Road in south London on February 3, 2020, after a man was shot dead by police on February 2, following reports he had stabbed two people. - British police were searching two homes on Monday after shooting dead a convicted terrorist who knifed two people in a London street. Sudesh Amman, 20, who was wearing a fake suicide vest, was shot on a busy road in south London on Sunday after what police said was an "Islamist-related" incident. DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP via Getty Images/Getty