Terror Attack at London Bridge Leaves 2 Dead, 3 Injured, Suspect Killed By Police

British police have shot dead a suspected terrorist on London Bridge who killed two people and injured three others in a mass stabbing while wearing a hoax explosive device.

The area around the famous landmark in the British capital was closed off following an incident at around 2 p.m. GMT on Friday.

Police confirmed that the suspect died at the scene and that the attack has been declared a terrorist incident.

Cressida Dick, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service, confirmed the two deaths during a press conference on Friday night.

"I am deeply saddened and angered that our city of London has again been targeted by terrorism. It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to inform you that -- as well as the suspect who was shot dead by police -- two of those injured in this attack in the London Bridge area have tragically lost their lives. My hearts go out to their loved ones and to the three further injured victims, which I understand are being treated at hospital, and of course to everybody who has been affected by today's terrible and mindless event," Dick said.

The conditions of the three others injured in the attack were not released, but Dick said that London will see an increased presence of armed and unarmed police officers patrolling the streets of the city.

Dick also thanked the individuals who stepped in to wrestle the suspect to the ground and prevent any further injuries and thanked the public in general for listening and cooperating with police officers.

Video on social media appears to show members of the public wrestling a man to the ground on the bridge before at least two shots are fired by armed officers.

BBC reporter John McManus he saw several men fighting one person the bridge.

"There appeared to be a fight going on on the other side of the bridge, with several men attacking one man," McManus told BBC News.

"Police then quickly arrived, including armed police, and then a number of shots were fired at this man."

Speaking to the press, Dick said that the investigation is ongoing into what prompted the attack. "We are also working at full tilt to understand exactly what has happened and whether anyone else was involved," she told the media.

The suspect has only been identified as a male. No other information about his identity has been issued by the Metropolitan Police, but assistant commissioner Neil Basu confirmed on Friday afternoon that law enforcement is treating the attack as a "terrorist incident."

Basu said due to reports that the suspect may have had an explosive device, specialist officers attended the scene and wide cordons were put in place as a precaution.

"However, I can confirm at this time, we believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device," Basu said.

"Officers continue to carry out meticulous searches in the area to ensure there is no outstanding threat to the public."

The London Ambulance Service previously confirmed that a "major incident" had taken place at London Bridge and a number of crews were at the scene.

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge.

"This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families."

Elsewhere, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said his "heart goes out" to those injured in the attack.

"Thank you to our brave emergency services who responded to today's horrific attack," Khan added in a statement. "Every day they put their lives on the line for us—running towards danger in order to keep London safe.

"We must—and we will—stay resolute in our determination to stand strong and united in the face of terror. Those who seek to attack us and divide us will never succeed."

London Bridge and nearby Borough Market was the scene of a terrorist attack in June 2017 which left eight people dead and a further 48 injured.

Three terrorists drove a van into pedestrians on the bridge, before going on to attack people with knives at bars and restaurants.

Story updated 3:58 p.m. EST to include Cressida Dick's statement to the media.

london bridge
Metropolitan Police Armed Response officers gather near Borough Market after reports of shots being fired on London Bridge on November 29, 2019 in London, England. Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty
Terror Attack at London Bridge Leaves 2 Dead, 3 Injured, Suspect Killed By Police | World