Louis C.K. Gets Mixed Reactions as He Makes Second Surprise Appearance in Career Revival Attempt

A second surprise show by Louis C.K. at New York City's Comedy Cellar on Sunday night has stoked a mixed-response as he continues his efforts to revive his career.

The comedian, 51, has cut a controversial figure since last year when he admitted to a number of acts of sexual misconduct with women. Back then, in November, C.K. vowed to "step back and take a long time to listen." But his unexpected appearance at the New York venue was his second in the last five weeks, prompting speculation of a comeback.

Reports suggest that his latest show proved unsurprisingly divisive. The comedian took to the stage just before 10.30 p.m. According to The New York Times, "There was wild applause when the host announced him, and a warm send-off when he left."

But the club also confirmed that two patrons left the venue when he was announced. Other members of the audience also became uncomfortable in parts of his routine, such as during a joke that referenced his 9-year-old daughter, according to the Huffington Post.

In all, C.K. completed about 20 minutes of material and opted not to mention the controversy that now engulfs him. His farewell suggested he was pleased with his reception. "You've been very kind, thank you very, very much," the comedian said before leaving the stage, according to The New York Times.

Following the outcry over his previous appearance at the venue, Comedy Cellar tickets carried a new disclaimer—added within the last few weeks—that anticipates the divisive nature of some of their guests.

"Swim at your own risk," the message warns on tickets, next to an icon of a swimming figure. "We never know who is going to pop in. If an unannounced appearance is not your cup of tea, you are free to leave (unobtrusively please) no questions asked, your check on the house."

C.K.'s latest return to the stage will further ignite the debate over redemption and forgiveness in the age of #MeToo, and it remains to be seen whether he will address the issue head on.

Following the original New York Times investigation into Louis C.K. that detailed over a decade of sexual misconduct, including masturbating in front of women, C.K. issued an immediate apology.

"These stories are true," he said in a statement. "There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with. I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want," he continued. "I will now step back and take a long time to listen."