Man Killed In Accidental Shooting at New York Gun Club

A man was killed this weekend in an "accidental" shooting at a New York State gun club, local police announced.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said the 67-year-old died following an "accidental discharge of a firearm" at a Penfield gun club on Saturday, according to local media reports.

Officers and emergency medical services were called to reports of a shooting at the Genesee Conservation League facility, at 1570 Old Penfield Road, at around 9:30 a.m. that morning.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene.

Sergeant Ken Weber told the local Democrat and Chronicle newspaper the man had been shot at the Genesee Conservation League club's indoor firing range.

He did not elaborate further on the circumstances of the incident.

Meanwhile, Wayne Cichetti, the president of the Genesee Conservation League board, confirmed in a statement that the victim was a "longtime club member" and a certified firing range officer.

Cichetti said the man was serving as a safety officer in a United States Practical Shooting Association competition when he was struck by "accidental discharge from a competitor's firearm."

"This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we are grieving the loss of a devoted member and friend," he added.

"Our deepest sympathies are extended to this member's family and loved ones."

Cichetti confirmed the Monroe County Sheriff's Office had launched an investigation into the shooting.

He also said the Genesee Conservation League had begun conducting a review of its safety protocols in the wake of the "tragic incident."

The shooting range is currently closed until further notice as "the club and sheriff's department complete investigations" relating to the shooting, according to Cichetti's statement.

Newsweek contacted the Monroe County Sheriff's Office for comment.

The shooting comes just two months after a separate incident involving firearms in New York State, which left two people dead and 14 others injured.

The September 19 incident, a mass shooting, took place in the city of Rochester and saw a man and a woman killed in what was described as a "tragedy of epic proportions" by then-acting police chief Mark Simmons.

The victims were later named as Jarvis Alexander and Jaquayla Young, both of whom were 19 years old.

The police investigation into the mass shooting is ongoing. Local authorities last month announced a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of whoever was responsible for the incident.

"We will not tolerate this type of violence in our community and our city and we're going to do everything we can to bring those individuals responsible for this to justice," said acting police chief Cynthia Herriott.