Riot Police Summoned After Man is Killed at Breonna Taylor Protest

Police are investigating after a man was killed and another person was injured in a shooting at a park in Louisville, Kentucky, where people were protesting the death of Breonna Taylor.

Reports of shots fired in Jefferson Square Park came in at around 9 p.m. on Saturday, the Louisville Metro Police Department said on Twitter.

The police department said that it then got calls that deputies from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department were performing life-saving measures on a man who died at the scene.

A short time later, police said they received a report of a shooting victim at the Hall of Justice across the street from the park. That person was taken to University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

"Officers cleared the park completely and have secured the entire area so homicide detectives can conduct their investigation," police said in their statement. "Detectives are trying to gather as much information as possible in order to identify all who were involved in the incident."

No further information about the shooting was immediately released.

A video circulating on social media appeared to show a man opening fire into the park and people running for cover.

Other posts on Twitter showed police in riot gear showing up at the scene after the park was secured and some protesters had gathered to mourn the slain man.

"The crowd in the middle of Jefferson Street is not happy with police in riot gear showing up," Louisville Courier-Journal reporter Billy Kobin tweeted.

In a statement, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said: "I am deeply saddened by the violence that erupted in Jefferson Square Park tonight, where those who have been voicing their concerns have been gathered. It is a tragedy that this area of peaceful protest is now a crime scene."

Fischer added: "My thanks to the first responders who assisted at the scene. I will have more to say tomorrow, as additional information becomes available."

Protesters have gathered at Jefferson Square Park to protest the police killings of Taylor and George Floyd in recent weeks.

Taylor's mother called for people to demand justice "without hurting each other" after seven people were injured in a shooting at a protest in the park on May 28.

"Please keep saying her name," Tamika Palmer said in a statement, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal.

"Please keep demanding justice and accountability, but let's do it the right way without hurting each other. We can and we will make some real change here. Now is the time. Let's make it happen, but safely."

Taylor was killed in her Louisville home in March by police officers who burst in while serving a no-knock warrant. The warrant, which allows for officers to enter without announcing their presence, was recently banned by Louisville's Metro Council.

Taylor's case has attracted renewed attention amid protests sparked by the death of Floyd, a Black man, in Minneapolis police custody late last month.

Protesters are calling for the officers involved in her killing to be charged.

One of the officers, Brett Hankison, was fired recently for showing "extreme indifference to the value of human life" when he "wantonly and blindly" shot 10 rounds of gunfire into Taylor's apartment on March 13, according to his termination letter.

Breonna Taylor
Protesters gather downtown on June 5, 2020 in Louisville, Kentucky. Brett Carlsen/Getty Images