Man Who Hit 167 MPH in Fatal Live-Streamed Crash Gets 15-Year Sentence

A Colorado man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for a fatal crash he caused in 2018 with actions one attorney called "unconscionable and reckless." The sentence was laid down on Friday following his conviction in July.

Bryan Kirby, 44, will serve 15 years in prison for the accident he caused in October 2018, according to KDVR-TV. He had been driving on a highway in the greater Denver area at speeds of up to 167 miles per hour, all the while live-streaming his dangerous actions to Facebook.

"Cases like this make me angry," District Attorney Brian Mason said. "It was totally preventable."

During the video, Kirby frequently pointed the camera at his car's odometer, showing that he maintained speeds of between 120 and 150 mph for a period of seven minutes.

"We cruise at 140," Kirby was heard to say at one point in the video.

colorado live stream crash
Bryan Kirby of Colorado was sentenced to 15 years in jail Friday for a fatal high-speed in which he live-streamed on his phone while driving. In this photo, emergency service workers are seen in April 2006 in Croydon, England. Bruno Vincent/Getty Images

Kirby's dangerous drive came to end while he was attempting to switch lanes. He collided with a white Sedan while traveling at around 120 mph, causing an accident that killed the other driver, Robert Hamilton, 67. Kirby attempted to flee the scene of the accident, but was apprehended by police, according to CBS Denver.

He was convicted in July of vehicular homicide, reckless manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident causing death.

"Mr. Kirby's unconscionable and reckless actions took a life and destroyed a family," Mason said. "My hope is this conviction will serve as a warning for others who even contemplate this kind of behavior. Put your phone down when you drive! And do not ever live-stream yourself driving a car. Mr. Kirby's behavior extinguished a life and now he's going to prison. This simply did not have to happen."

Mason added, "This family is devastated, this family will always be devastated, their loved one should be alive today. You have to put your phone down when you're driving, you just have to...We're addicted to our phones, we can't get enough of them. I look at the drivers around me and I see people on their phones and they are all accidents waiting to happen."

Another accident involving a live-streaming occurred in the spring but had a more positive outcome. A 13-year-old, Caden Cotnoir from New Hampshire, had been watching a 12-year-old in West Virginia, Trent Jarrett, live-streaming himself on TikTok while riding an ATV. At one point, the stream went dark save for a bit of light, and the boy could be heard shouting for help.

Jarrett, who had become pinned under his ATV, began calling out the phone numbers and names of his family to his still-active live-stream. Because of that, Cotnoir, from about 800 miles away, was able to alert Jarrett's family and help save his life.