Man Accused of Raping Young Girl Burned Alive by Locals

Two men in India were set on fire by a mob after being accused of raping a minor, according to authorities.

The incident occurred in Jharkhand's Gumla district in the Basua village and resulted in one of the men dying while the other has been left in a critical condition in hospital.

According to authorities, the alleged incident happened between 9 and 10 p.m. on Wednesday.

Stock image of a police car in India. Men accused of raping young girl were burned alive by locals. Getty

The deputy superintendent of police in Gumla, Manish Chandra, spoke about the incident, according to a Hindustan Times report.

"As per initial investigation, a girl was dropped at her home by two accused allegedly after raping her," he said.

"Both the girl and the accused are from different neighborhoods in the same village. Enraged over the allegation of rape, the [girl's] family members and a few other villagers brought the two boys from home and set them on fire."

Speaking to the Deccan Herald publication, Chandra gave more details about the incident, saying: "When the girl's family members and other villagers came to know about the incident, they got hold of the accused. The mob then brought the youths to the survivor's village, thrashed them and set them on fire."

The deceased victim has been identified as Sunil Oraon and the alleged rape victim has filed a complaint with the police and has been taken for medical tests, according to the Hindustan Times report.

Newsweek has contacted the Sadar police station for comment.

In April, Newsweek also reported on an incident that saw a 13-year-old girl from Uttar Pradesh, India, who had allegedly been raped by a police officer while trying to file a report that she had been gang-raped.

According to local media, the officer has since been arrested. Additionally, those posted at the station during the time of the alleged incident have been "removed from duty," said NDTV.

In an official complaint to the police, the girl's father claimed that on April 22, his daughter was "lured by four men" and taken to Bhopal—a city in Madhya Pradesh, India—where she was "raped" for four days. The men then dropped her off at a police station in Lalitpur, Uttar Pradesh and fled the scene.

The girl was initially handed over to her aunt; however, she returned the following day to file a report. That is when "the accused official took the girl inside a room in the police station in the presence of her aunt and raped her," stated NDTV.

In a statement obtained by the BBC, Lalitpur district police chief Nikhil Pathak said the girl was later brought to his office by a member of the CHILDLINE India Foundation—a non-governmental organization that operates a telephone hotline for children in distress. When the teen told Pathak what had happened to her, he filed a case against the officer.