O.J. Simpson to Appeal Court Orders Requiring Him to Pay $60M For Ron Goldman Death

A lawyer representing O.J. Simpson said on Friday he plans to appeal court orders for Simpson to pay at least $60 million in judgment settlements over the deaths of Ron Goldman and Simpson's former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson.

Malcolm LaVergne, who represents the former NFL player, asked the Nevada Supreme Court to overturn a $33.5 million settlement owed to Fred Goldman, the father of Ron Goldman. LaVergne also asked for the remaining money owed in another settlement owed to a Connecticut man named Paul Dorsey, who owns the rights to the money owed to Sharon Rufo, the mother of Ron Goldman.

"I will be appealing both of those," LaVergne said on Friday, "and there will be more motions at the trial level."

O.J. Simpson
O.J. Simpson (R) attends his parole hearing with his attorney Malcolm LaVergne at Lovelock Correctional Center July 20, 2017 in Lovelock, Nevada. Photo by Jason Bean-Pool/Getty Images

A California civil jury in 1997, two years after Simpson was acquitted in "The Trial of the Century," ordered him to pay sums of money to the families of Goldman and Simpson-Brown.

Simpson, who currently lives in a golf course community in Las Vegas, is on parole after his 2017 prison release after serving nearly a decade for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon.

Simpson faced criminal and civil trials in the two deaths, and he was acquitted. However, he was convicted in 2008 for entering the hotel room for supposedly trying to "retrieve stolen memorabilia" that belonged to Simpson, and he was sentenced to prison in Nevada.

He served nine years and was released in 2017.

For more reporting from the Associated Press, see below.

New court filings followed a March 31 settlement of Simpson's 2019 lawsuit against The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, a hotel-casino where he alleged he was defamed by unnamed employees telling a celebrity news site he had been banned from the property in November 2017 for being drunk and disruptive.

LaVergne refuses to say if money changed hands in the settlement.

"They can't prove there are any settlement proceeds," he said Friday, promising to litigate "to the very end."

In court filings, attorneys for The Cosmopolitan point to a confidentiality clause of the agreement and declare the resort "did not give any money or property to Mr. Simpson pursuant to the settlement."

The Cosmopolitan previously argued that Simpson couldn't be defamed because his reputation was already tarnished by his criminal and civil trials in the deaths of his ex-wife and her friend, and by his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada in a 2007 armed robbery case.

Simpson was convicted in Las Vegas in 2008, but has always maintained he and five men confronting two memorabilia dealers at a casino hotel room were just trying to retrieve personal mementoes stolen from him following his 1995 acquittal in Los Angeles. Two of the men had guns.

Attorney Craig Newman, representing Dorsey, pointed Friday to a June 7 court order keeping Simpson on the hook for at least $4.6 million. But Newman acknowledged there can be more court fights — including to determine if Simpson actually received money from The Cosmopolitan.

Attorney Larson Welsh, representing Goldman, was out of the office Friday and did not immediately respond to emails about a June 3 ruling favoring Fred Goldman.

The slain man's father has hounded Simpson for years and contends Simpson has never willingly paid any of the judgment. Nevada court records list the amount of Goldman's claim now at $58 million.

Simpson, 74, lives in a gated golf course community in Las Vegas. He remains on parole following his release from prison in July 2017 after serving nine years for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault with a weapon.

The NFL Hall-of-Famer, former sports commentator, movie actor and commercial pitchman has declined to discuss his finances other than to say he lives on pensions.