Pakistani Prime Minister Blasts Donald Trump's Criticism, Says U.S.-Led War on Terror Caused 75,000 Casualties and $123 Billion in Losses

The U.S.-led "war on terror" has caused more than 75,000 casualties and more than $120 billion in losses to the Asian nation, Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan said in response to President Donald Trump's recent comments about the South Asian country.

In an interview with Fox News Sunday, Trump criticized Pakistan for allegedly harboring former Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, who is credited as the mastermind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the U.S.

The president said that Bin Laden was living "beautifully" in Pakistan while "everybody knew he was there," adding that the U.S. formerly gave the country "$1.3 billion per year." Trump stressed that the U.S. does not give more money to the country, "by the way. I ended it." He then said that Pakistan wasn't doing "a damn thing for us."

Prime Minister Imran Khan hit back in a Monday tweet. He said that he wanted to put the record straight in regards to his country's relationship with Washington following Trump's "tirade."

"No Pakistani was involved in 9/11 but Pak decided to participate in US War on Terror," the prime minister wrote. "Pakistan suffered 75,000 casualties in this war & over $123 bn was lost to economy. US 'aid' was a miniscule $20 bn," he added.

The U.S. government has cut hundreds of millions in aid to Pakistan under the Trump administration. The president previously attacked the country on Twitter earlier this year, saying that the U.S. had given the country "33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years," while getting "nothing" in return.

Trump doubled down on his remarks in Monday morning Twitter posts as well.

"We paid Pakistan Billions of Dollars & they never told us [Bin Laden] was living there. Fools!" the president wrote. "We no longer pay Pakistan the $Billions because they would take our money and do nothing for us," he added.

Trump's comments on Pakistan came as he appeared to deflect a question about criticism from retired Admiral William McRaven, who served as commander of the United States Special Operations Command from 2011 until 2014. The president wrote off the comments from the veteran who served in the military for 37 years, calling him "a Hillary Clinton-backer and an Obama-backer." He then suggested that the commander, who oversaw the 2011 operation that took out Bin Laden, should have gotten the extremist leader much sooner.

Many have slammed the president's criticism of the respected admiral, including fellow retired military leaders.

"This comment by the president was disrespectful, it was demoralizing, it was shallow, and it was unprofessional," Major General Mark Hertling, a retired three-star general who served with McRaven, defended his former colleague to CNN.

McRaven himself hit back at the president's attack, pointing out that he never backed Clinton and proudly served under Republican and Democratic presidents.

"I did not back Hillary Clinton or anyone else," McRaven told CNN.

"I am a fan of President Obama and President George W. Bush, both of whom I worked for. I admire all presidents, regardless of their political party, who uphold the dignity of the office and who use that office to bring the nation together in challenging times," he added. "I stand by my comment that the president's attack on the media is the greatest threat to our democracy in my lifetime."

Pakistani Prime Minister Blasts Donald Trump's Criticism, Says U.S.-Led War on Terror Caused 75,000 Casualties and $123 Billion in Losses | World