Parler Video Accused of Inciting Inauguration Violence Widely Shared Before Site Takedown

Moments before Parler was due to be taken offline, a QAnon propaganda video calling for a "great reawakening" in the U.S. ahead of the January 20 inauguration period was being shared on the self-styled "free speech" social media platform.

The three-minute video was made up of old Donald Trump speeches with lines such as "the time for empty talk is over, now arrives the hour of action." It was accused by many on social media of inciting further violence following the extremist attack on the Capitol on January 6.

The clip was first uploaded online by filmmaker Matthew Scarboro on January 1. However, it started to be reshared on Parler, the "free speech" social media prominently used by conservatives and the far-right, before the site was taken down.

The clip flashes up a number of phrases linked to QAnon, the conspiracy movement listed as a domestic terrorist threat by the FBI whose followers went on to storm the Capitol.

Part of an old speech in which Trump assures "there should be no fear, we are protected" is also heard. While Trump has been accused of inciting the violence with his rhetoric and frequent calls of election fraud, the line featured in the clip is not related to plans to attack the Capitol.

Amazon Web Services (AWS) Trust and Safety said it will stop hosting Parler at Sunday, January 10 at 11:59 p.m. PST, after the site was used to plot the attack on Congress last week. Google and Apple have also pulled the app from their stores.

Parler's CEO John Matze Parler will go offline for up to a week so it could "rebuild from scratch."

Prior to being taken down, the QAnon propaganda video entitled "America Reborn" was viewed more than 60,000 times on Parler.

Responding to the clip going semi-viral online, Scarboro posted on Parler: "I'm being labeled as a domestic terrorist via Twitter for my pro-Trump videos that I made for all of you patriots.

"Facebook just banned my channels and accounts, I'm getting death threats on all platforms, even ones where I haven't posted any Trump content. I will not be bullied, I will now bow, I will not submit, I will not retreat, I will not apologize, and I will NOT SURRENDER!

"To those that have said you have sent my content to the FBI for advocating an overthrow, great! The more views the better."

There have been fears that the far-right and QAnon supporters are planning a repeat of the violence seen in Washington D.C last week.

Despite apparently being removed from Facebook and now Parler, Scarboro's video is still on YouTube.

Scarboro and YouTube have been contacted for comment.

qanon
Supporters of US President Donald Trump walk around in the Rotunda after breaching the US Capitol in Washington, DC, January 6, 2021. A QAnon propaganda video calling for a "great reawakening" in the U.S. ahead of the January 20 inauguration period was being widely shared on Parler before the site was taken down. SAUL LOEB / AFP/Getty