People Who Are 'Extremely Proud' Americans at Record Low This July 4: Poll

A survey conducted in advance of this year's Independence Day holiday has found the amount of people who said they are "extremely proud" to be Americans is at a record low.

In the Gallup poll released last week, 38 percent of U.S. adults said they are "extremely proud" to be Americans, which is the lowest number since Gallup began tracking national pride in 2001. Another 27 percent of respondents said they are "very proud" to be Americans, while 22 percent said they are "moderately proud." Meanwhile, 9 percent answered that they are "only a little" proud, and 4 percent said they are "not at all" proud to be Americans.

The survey findings came in advance of a July 4th where many Americans are upset about a variety of issues. Along with ongoing worries about COVID-19, Americans are also suffering from the country's highest inflation rate in 40 years. The poll could also be impacted by recent events, as Gallup said the poll was conducted not long after mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, that resulted in 31 deaths, including 19 children.

However, the polling results were compiled shortly before the controversial decision from the U.S. Supreme Court on June 24 that overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that recognized women's constitutional right to abortion. Gallup wrote that the court decision, as well as recent bipartisan gun legislation, could have likely further impacted the findings if the poll were conducted later.

A boy celebrates July Fourth
A new Gallup poll has found a record low amount of U.S. adults say they are "extremely proud" to be Americans. In this photo, a boy is seen wearing a foam Statue of Liberty hat near the New York Stock Exchange during Independence Day weekend on July 3, 2022 in New York City. Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images

The previous low for the number of people who told Gallup they are "extremely proud" to be Americans came in 2020 when 42 percent gave that reply. However, when the current "extremely proud" low of 38 percent is added with the 27 percent who are "very proud," the combined 65 percent is higher than 2020's ratings by two percentage points.

Even still, Gallup said the current readings for those replies are lower than the trend averages of 55 percent for "extremely proud" and 80 percent for a combined "extremely/very proud." The public opinion company also noted that "[b]efore 2015, no less than 55 percent of U.S. adults said they were extremely proud." By 2018, the response began falling below the majority level and is now around 20 points lower than it was 10 years ago.

Though Republicans are more likely to say they are extremely proud Americans, the current 58 percent reading is the lowest figure for Republicans since Gallup began recording. Similarly, independents also recorded the lowest number ever recorded by Gallup for the response at 34 percent.

Democrats who said they are "extremely proud" to be Americans hit its lowest point in 2019 with 22 percent. That number increased to 31 percent in 2021 before falling down to 26 percent in the current poll.

The Gallup poll was released as another poll released last week showed a large majority of Americans are unhappy with the state of the nation. The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research survey found 92 percent of Republicans and 78 percent of Democrats said the country is currently headed in the wrong direction.

The AP noted the percentage of Democrats saying the country is headed in the wrong direction rose by 12 percentage points from the prior month. Just 14 percent of all Americans say the country is currently headed in the right direction, compared to about half of Americans who said the same through the first half of 2021.