Russian Man Opens Fire at Enlistment Office Amid Mobilization

A young Russian man opened fire at a military registration and enlistment office in Russia's Irkutsk region on Monday, according to officials and local media reports.

Videos posted by Telegram accounts "Incident Ust-Ilimsk" and Baza show the moment a man took out his gun and fired, before others who were in the building at the time ran away screaming.

The governor of the region, Igor Kobzev, said on his Telegram channel that there had been "an emergency" in the area.

"A young man fired at the military registration and enlistment office," he said, noting that the military commissar, Alexander Vladimirovich Eliseev, is in intensive care and in serious condition.

A Russian soldier taken prisoner
A Russian soldier, taken prisoner, on a tank with Ukrainian soldiers after Izyum was recaptured from Russian forces on September 11. A Ukrainian counteroffensive has made significant advances in the east of Ukraine. Laurent Van der Stockt for Le Monde/Getty Images

According to multiple reports, before the shooting the man said: "No one will fight" and "now we'll all go home." The words couldn't be heard in the footage.

Kobzev said the man was "immediately" arrested, adding: "He will definitely be punished!"

"I am ashamed that this is happening at a time when, on the contrary, we should be united. We must fight not with each other, but against real threats," the head of the region wrote.

"I really hope that the doctors will do everything possible for Alexander Vladimirovich to survive," he added. "I gave instructions to strengthen security measures. I ask everyone to remain calm."

Baza also published a video that allegedly shows the detained shooter introducing himself on camera as 25-year-old local resident Zinin Ruslan.

Newsweek has been unable to independently verify the authenticity of that video, and has contacted Russia's foreign ministry for comment.

The incident comes days after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced his partial mobilization decree, which is supposed to affect up to 300,000 Russian reservists and ex-military personnel with "certain military specialties and relevant experience."

It isn't clear whether the shooter had been summoned as part of Putin's partial mobilization decree.

However, local Telegram channel ASTRA said it had contacted the alleged shooter's mother, Marina Zinina, who reportedly said that her son didn't receive a summons himself, but that his best friend had been called up to fight in Ukraine.

"Ruslan was very upset because of this, because [his] friend did not serve in the army. They said that there would be partial mobilization, but it turns out that they take everyone," she reportedly said.

There have been various reports of people being mobilized by the authorities despite not meeting the criteria set out by defense officials.