Why Prince Philip Has Been Hospitalized Eight Times in 10 Years

Prince Philip has faced three hospital visits because of infections, one for a "pre-existing condition" and several rounds of surgery in recent years.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was taken from Windsor Castle to a hospital in London on Tuesday night out of an abundance of caution, said Buckingham Palace officials. It is his eighth hospital stay in 10 years.

Coronavirus has been ruled out and the husband of Queen Elizabeth II is expected to remain under observation for several days. This is not his first admission to the King Edward VII Hospital in London.

Prince Philip at Queen's Christmas Pre-Christmas Lunch
Prince Philip attends a Christmas lunch for members of the Royal Family hosted by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace on December 19, 2018 in London, England. He is in hosptial as a precaution after feeling unwell, Buckingham Palace said. Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty

Three previous trips to hospital were caused by infections. Prince Philip was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in June 2012 with a bladder infection that caused him to miss many of the queen's diamond jubilee celebrations.

The news was announced just hours before he had been due to attend the BBC's jubilee concert outside Buckingham Palace, The Guardian reported at the time.

A palace statement in 2012 read: "He is, understandably, disappointed about missing this evening's diamond jubilee concert and tomorrow's engagements."

Two months later, Philip was admitted to hospital in Scotland after experiencing a recurrence of the infection. Buckingham Palace said at the time: "The Duke of Edinburgh is responding well to treatment."

In June 2017 he was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital again to be treated for an infection arising out of a pre-existing condition. Prince Charles had to replace his father at the state opening of parliament.

Buckingham Palace said at the time: "Prince Philip is in good spirits and is disappointed to be missing the state opening of parliament and Royal Ascot."

In 2019, Philip spent four nights in the King Edward VII Hospital and the palace confirmed that he was being treated for "a pre-existing condition."

He was taken to Papworth Hospital in Cambridge in 2011 experiencing chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery.

In 2013 he had an exploratory operation on his abdomen at the London Clinic, while in 2018 he had hip surgery at the King Edward VII Hospital.

After being discharged in April 2018, he had about a month to get back to fitness so he could watch his grandson Prince Harry marry Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle. The duke recovered in time to take part in the ceremony unaided.

A palace statement released today read: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.

"The Duke's admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell.

"The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."