William Evans Identified as Capitol Police Officer Killed by Suspect Who Rammed Car Into Him

Authorities identified William "Billy" Evans as the Capitol Police officer who was fatally struck by a vehicle that drove into a barricade outside the Capitol building Friday afternoon.

Another Capitol Police officer who was injured in the incident has not yet been publicly identified.

Yogananda Pittman, the acting chief of the Capitol Police, announced Evans' death about three hours after the incident occurred.

"It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the passing of Officer William 'Billy' Evans this afternoon from injuries he sustained following an attack at the North Barricade by a lone assailant," Pittman said in a statement.

"Officer Evans had been a member of the United States Capitol Police for 18 years," her statement continued. "He began his USCP service on March 7, 2003, and was a member of the Capitol Division's First Responder's Unit. Please keep Officer Evans and his family in your thoughts and prayers."

Pittman said during a news conference earlier Friday afternoon that a male driver ran his vehicle into the two officers before striking the North Barricade barrier along Constitution Avenue. The suspect then got out of the vehicle and ran "aggressively" at the officers who were present, at which point some officers fired shots at him, she said.

Statement on the Loss of USCP Colleague Officer William "Billy" Evans: https://t.co/JMAEbTcbAp pic.twitter.com/DPvkAv5ptO

— U.S. Capitol Police (@CapitolPolice) April 2, 2021

The Associated Press reported that the suspect was taken to a hospital in critical condition. Pittman said the suspect was later pronounced dead.

Law enforcement officials told the AP the suspect was identified as Noah Green, 25.

The two officers who were struck by the vehicle were transported to a hospital for treatment of their injuries. One officer was taken by car and the other was transported by emergency medical crews, according to the AP.

William "Billy" Evans Capitol Police
William "Billy" Evans was identified by Capitol Police as the officer who died Friday after a vehicle drove into a barricade near the Capitol complex. U.S. Capitol Police

Robert Contee, the acting chief of the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department, said the incident did not initially appear to be terror-related but added that the investigation was in its early stages.

Temporary road closures were in place along Constitution Avenue and First Street in response to the incident, police said. As news of the incident first began to spread, authorities issued an alert warning people inside the Capitol to avoid windows and doors and to stay inside. Those outside the building were instructed to take cover because of an "external security threat."

Both chambers of Congress were in state and district work periods at the time of the incident.

In a statement released by the White House Friday evening, President Joe Biden offered condolences to Evans' family and ordered flags to be flown at half-mast. The president said he was receiving updates on the developing situation from his homeland security adviser.

"Jill and I were heartbroken to learn of the violent attack at a security checkpoint on the U.S. Capitol grounds, which killed Officer William Evans of the U.S. Capitol Police, and left a fellow officer fighting for his life," Biden's statement said. "We send our heartfelt condolences to Officer Evans' family, and everyone grieving his loss. We know what a difficult time this has been for the Capitol, everyone who works there, and those who protect it."

Friday's incident occurred less than three months after a violent riot at the Capitol led to the deaths of four civilians and one Capitol Police officer. The January 6 attack, which took place as the House and Senate gathered to certify the results of the presidential election, put both chambers of Congress into lockdown as rioters made their way into the building. Dozens of individuals have been arrested and charged in connection with the riot, and the investigation is ongoing.

This story has been updated with the name of the suspect and a statement from President Joe Biden.