Woman Warns Against TikTok Poaching Egg Hack After Suffering Severe Burns

A woman has made a video warning against a TikTok hack which resulted in her badly burning her face and neck.

Chantelle Conway, 25, posted to the video-sharing app to explain the dangers of poaching an egg in a microwave.

Speaking to the camera, with horrific burns on her face and neck, she says: "On Friday at 11 o'clock I put boiling water in a cup and I popped my egg in it and I put it in the microwave, say for 5 to 10 seconds, maybe longer. I can't remember.

"When I took it out I put the cold spoon, just as you normally would, I put the spoon in the cup to take my egg out.

"And as I've put the spoon in, the cold spoon shocked the water as it was so hot so basically it boiled, it burst all over my face.

"So, I am just saying please do not do that egg cup challenge."

Conway's video, which can be viewed here, was posted on July 4 and is captioned: "Warning please please people stop doing your poached eggs in the microwave I was VERY VERY lucky. I've now got to just leave it to heal #fyp."

Speaking to British newspaper The Mirror, the mum-of-two explained that she had "always done poached eggs that way because it was just a quicker and easier way of doing them."

@chantelleconway2020

⚠️ warning ⚠️ please please people stop doing ur Porched  eggs in the microwave 💔 I was VERY VERY lucky .Iv now got to just leave it to heal #fypシ

♬ original sound - Chantelle Conway 🖤

She also revealed that: "It was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life and I've had two natural childbirths - it felt like someone had a blowtorch on my face constantly and I was convinced my whole face had burnt off."

"I think I probably would've died from the pain if I hadn't acted so fast pouring cold water on myself because it was that bad, I couldn't handle it."

Conway was at home with her 18-month-old baby when the incident happened, and waited nearly an hour for her partner Mark Ball to rush her Royal Bolton Hospital in Lancashire, United Kingdom.

Although her injuries have started to heal, she revealed: "The next day I started getting blisters on my chin and by Sunday morning I couldn't cope with the pain and went back to hospital for some advice.

"On Monday the blisters on my chin burst and I woke up with my hand stuck to my face which pulled some skin off when I moved - I was panicking because then I had a raw patch of skin."

Conway's warning has since been viewed 121,400 times with many sending their well-wishes to the young mother.

One person, Danielle White933, wrote: "Hope you get better soon xx"

Another TikTok user, Lille West, added: "I'm sorry this happened to you wishing you a speedy recovery!

There are many videos on the social media site showing how to poach an egg in microwave, including one by Slackerketo, shared on March 30.

A man's voice can be heard saying: "It worked really good, not going to lie I was really surprised."

The hashtag #microwaveeggs has 136,700 views.

Newsweek have contacted TikTok and Conway for comment.

Egg being put in the microwave
A stock image of an egg being put in the microwave. In a TikTok video a woman outlines how microwaving an egg resulted in injuries. Getty Images