Everything Police Claimed About The Uvalde Shooting That Was Debunked

Since last week's fatal school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, there have been a number of changes to the claims that police initially made about exactly what happened and the timeline of the incident.

On Tuesday, May 24, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos walked into the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde and fatally shot 19 students and two teachers. While Ramos was eventually shot and killed by responding officers, questions have arisen regarding the police response at the scene.

And in the past few days, police have walked back some statements they initially made about what happened during the shooting.

During a press conference on Friday, May 27, Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw initially said that a teacher at the elementary school left a back door open, and that is how Ramos entered the school.

However, while speaking with the Associated Press on Wednesday, Travis Considine, chief communications officer for the Texas Department of Public Safety, said that the teacher did close the door after learning there was a shooter nearby, but the door did not lock.

"We did verify she closed the door. The door did not lock. We know that much and now investigators are looking into why it did not lock," Considine told the Associated Press.

Uvalde School Shooting
Over the past several days, police have walked back a number of remarks they initially made about the Uvalde school shooting. Above, a memorial dedicated to the 19 children and two adults killed on May 24th during the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School is seen on June 1, 2022 in Uvalde, Texas. Brandon Bell/Getty

On the day after the school shooting incident, an official with the Texas Department of Public Safety said that Ramos was "engaged" by an armed school resource officer prior to entering the Robb Elementary School. A few days later, Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Regional Director Victor Escalon disputed these initial remarks, saying that Ramos "walked in unobstructed initially."

"So from the grandmother's house to the (ditch), to the school, into the school, he was not confronted by anybody," Escalon said.

During the press conference on Friday, May 27, McCraw explained that the chief of police of the Uvalde school district, Pete Arredondo, initially believed that the incident was a barricaded subject and not an active shooter situation, since Ramos was inside one classroom, where he fatally shot all 21 victims.

As Arredondo determined that it was a barricaded subject incident, police did not initially engage with the shooter and waited until further officers arrived and until they could get a key to the school's classroom where Ramos was located. Officers waited over an hour to engage with Ramos, prompting criticism from parents and community members.

In response to the determination made by Arredondo, McCraw said on Friday that it was the "wrong decision."

"With the benefit of hindsight, from where I'm sitting now, of course, it was not the right decision. It was the wrong decision, period," McCraw said. "There were plenty of officers to do what needed to be done, with one exception, is that the incident commander inside believed he needed more equipment and more officers to do a tactical breach at that time."

Newsweek reached out to the Texas Department of Public Safety for comment.