Hurricane Larry Could Bring 'Life-Threatening' Surf to Atlantic Coast on Heels of Ida

One week after Hurricane Ida wreaked havoc across the eastern United States, the National Hurricane Center said that another storm brewing in the Atlantic Ocean could bring "life-threatening" surf and rip currents to the coast.

On Sunday, the weather service warned that Hurricane Larry, now a Category 3 storm, could soon bring dangerous currents along the Atlantic coastline. The storm is projected to churn across the Greater Antilles islands, Bermuda and the Bahamas on Monday and Tuesday, but could impact North America by the middle of the week.

"Significant swells should reach the east coast of the United States and the Atlantic Canada by midweek. These swells will likely cause life-threatening surf and rip conditions, and beach goers and other interests along these coasts are urged to follow the advice of lifeguards and local officials this week," the hurricane center tweeted Sunday.

Here are the 5 PM AST, September 5th Key Messages for Hurricane #Larry. Interests in Bermuda should continue to monitor for the latest updates. Dangerous surf and rip currents expected later this week along the east coast of the United States.

Latest: https://t.co/oLAjv1lKWp pic.twitter.com/q2Y8h43Ix9

— National Hurricane Center (@NHC_Atlantic) September 5, 2021

According to a forecast from AccuWeather, Hurricane Larry could soon gain strength and reach Category 4 hurricane status with maximum sustained winds of 130 to 156 mph. If Larry's winds increase to above 150 mph, it would become the strongest storm in the Atlantic this year, even surpassing Ida's strength.

"Swells were already reaching the northeast-facing coastlines of the Caribbean Islands and the southeastern-facing coastline of Bermuda and are forecast to spread northwestward this week," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Tyler Roys said in a statement.

As swells reach coastal waters, AccuWeather warned that large waves, known as breakers, will form and bring dangerous conditions to coastal beaches. The forecast added that the worst impact in the northeastern U.S. is expected to be felt during the second half of the week, when the hurricane will likely make its closest approach.

On Sunday, the storm was located about 880 miles east of the Northern Leeward Islands, moving to the northwest at 13 mph, according to the hurricane center.

"Little change in strength is forecast during the next few days, although fluctuations in intensity will be possible. Larry is expected to remain a major hurricane through the middle of this week," the center said. The weather service warned that Larry could bring strong winds, heavy rainfall and coastal flooding to Bermuda by the middle of the week, though noted that the storm's full impact is too soon to tell.

The arrival of Hurricane Larry will come just over a week after Ida made landfall as a Category 4 storm in Southeastern Louisiana, bringing a trail of destruction and chaos across the Gulf Coast and into the Northeast.

Hurricane Ida
One week after Hurricane Ida wreaked havoc in the U.S., forecasters warned that Hurricane Larry could bring "life-threatening" surf to the Atlantic coast. Here, a family travels by boat to their home after it flooded during Hurricane Ida on August 31, 2021 in Barataria, Louisiana. Brandon Bell/Getty Images

By Sunday, Ida's death toll climbed to 63, with at least 13 people confirmed dead in Louisiana and 50 more killed in the Northeast after the storm's remnants brought devastating rainfall and flooding across New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Maryland. Over 600,000 across Louisiana still remain without power, with some areas likely left without electricity through the end of the month.

Last week, Larry became the fifth hurricane—and third major one—to be named in the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane season. In August, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicted that there will be 15 to 21 named storms and seven to 10 hurricanes in the 2021 season, which runs from June 1 through Nov. 30.

"NOAA scientists predict that the likelihood of an above-normal 2021 Atlantic hurricane season is 65%. There is a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season," NOAA's Climate Prediction Center said.