Is 'Roseanne' Moving To Fox After ABC's Cancelation? Disgraced Comedian Debunks Viral Claim

During a Twitter discussion with her supporters, disgraced comedian Roseanne Barr debunked viral claims that her canceled sitcom would be moving to Fox. The rumor, which emerged shortly after ABC Entertainment announced that it was canceling the show in response to the star's racist tweets, had been bouncing around right-wing blogs and Twitter accounts since Tuesday.

"BREAKING: Sources reporting Fox will agree to a deal to run the next series of @therealroseanne show within 3 months after ABC canceled the sitcom," a fan, who has no apparent connections to a news organization, tweeted at Barr. A horde of similar tweets appeared on the social media platform, and false news stories promoting the claim remained online Thursday.

Replying to the tweet, Barr wrote, simply, "Not true."

The response came after a slew of other comments from the comedian in which her tone ranged from expressing regret and fury over the show's cancelation, which was prompted after she referred to Obama-era adviser Valerie Jarrett as a mix between "the Muslim brotherhood" and "planet of the apes." She has since blamed the racist tweet on the side effects of sleep aid Ambien, although she later deleted the tweets referencing the drug.

Fox could not immediately be reached for comment. A number of other baseless claims about the hit sitcom, mostly peddled by websites attempting to deliberately troll online audiences, also appeared online. Joke news site Daily World Update reported a string of false news stories about a revival of the revival, writing that NBC, CBS and Netflix all expressed interest in adding the successful sitcom to their lineup.

In one dubious story, the site credited a bogus Netflix CEO named Art Tubolls with expressing interest in the show. In actuality, the CEO of Netflix is named Reed Hastings.

"The people who love the show want more of Roseanne's true self, like this Jarrett thing, and less of the fighting with crazy moonbat Jackie. We're looking at sending her and Darlene off to Seattle and focusing more on the anger and hate of the original Connor household," the fabricated quote from Tubolls reads. "Liberals were dropping like flies anyway. We figure we can get four to five million viewers a week just by advertising exclusively on Fox."

The remaining cast has been mostly silent since releasing initial statements blasting Barr for her offensive tweets. Sara Gilbert, who starred in the original and later starred and executive produced the revival, said Roseanne's views don't represent the cast and crew.

"This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we've created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love—one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member," she tweeted.

Barr, meanwhile, has sent out a flood of tweets and retweets that, when taken together, offer contradictory messages. She has retweeted ABC boycott campaigns, while also discouraging her fans to boycott. She claimed to believe that Jarrett was of Saudi descent, then claimed to believe the adviser, who is African American, was white. She has expressed sorrow for her castmates, who are out of a job, while also blasting Gilbert and others for "throwing her under the bus" with public their public admonishments.

To her fans, she expressed thanks and indicated that she would be "examining her options."

"You guys make me feel like fighting back," she said. "I will examine all of my options carefully and get back to U."

Roseanne Barr Insists She's 'Not a Racist' on Twitter
Roseanne Barr attends the premiere of ABC's revival of "Roseanne" in Burbank, California, on March 23. Despite this week's cancellation of her show, Barr insisted on Twitter she's "not a racist." Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

SaveSave