Stimulus Check 2022 Update: These States Set to Receive Payments in May

Residents of four U.S. states may be in line for upcoming stimulus payments that should begin to be paid in May as the country continues to grapple with high inflation.

Three states - California, Delaware and Indiana - are expected to make payments this month, while the city of Chicago is set to provide prepaid gas cards and transit cards.

Here is a breakdown of the upcoming payments by state.


Eligible residents of California are set to receive payments under two stimulus packages passed last year - Golden State Stimulus I (GSS 1) and Golden State Stimulus II (GSS II).

The state's residents will receive a check for either $600 or $1,200 in the first stimulus package and a check for up to $1,100 under the second package. Some may receive lower payments under GSS II depending on whether they qualified for GSS I and other factors.

Californians who earn less than $75,000 a year and who filed their taxes by October 15, 2021 will qualify. The state's Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is also expected to issue a further tranche of checks in June.

Residents may qualify for one or both stimulus payments, according to FTB's website, and should check their eligibility.


The state of Delaware is planning to issue a tax rebate by the end of May. Individual filers are set to receive $300, while couples who filed jointly can expect a rebate of $600.

The rebates will be made to Delaware residents who have filed a personal income tax return for 2020. The rebate also applies to residents who did not earn enough to file taxes in 2020, according to Delaware Online.

Delaware's Department of Finance (DOF) told The U.S. Sun: "The state anticipates sending [the] first round of payments in May based on 2020 return data."

The DOF also said they expect to make further rounds of payments.


The state of Indiana will also be providing tax rebates to eligible residents beginning in May this year.

Those who filed taxes as individuals are set to receive a payment of $125, while married couples will receive $250. Any person who filed taxes in the state before January 3, 2022 will be eligible.

Paper checks may not be issued until July or August, but those who provided banking information with their 2021 tax returns will receive direct payments.


While the state of Illinois is expected to make payments to taxpayers of up to $400 sometime later this year, the city of Chicago will provide prepaid gas and transport cards to residents who are eligible.

The city will issue up to 50,000 prepaid gas cards worth $150 each and up to 100,000 prepaid transport cards worth $50 each. The cards will be issued under Mayor Lori Lightfoot's Chicago Moves program.

According to Chicago Moves' website, 75 percent of these cards "will prioritize residents in community areas that face higher mobility hardship" while the remaining 25 percent "will be distributed citywide in equal amounts to each ward."

The cards will be allotted by a lottery beginning in the second week of May and continuing into September.

Use of the gas card "will be limited to the purchase of gas at pumps located at any filling station within the City of Chicago."

Applicants must be a resident of Chicago over the age of 18, have a household income at 100 percent or less of the area median income - exact figures for the areas are available on the Chicago Moves website

Those applying for a gas card must also have a "current and valid City sticker with correct mailing information for the vehicle."

Stimulus Checks Prepared for Printing
Residents in four states can expect to receive some stimulus payments in May. Pictured, economic stimulus checks are prepared for printing at the Philadelphia Financial Center in Philadelphia. Jeff Fusco/Getty Images