World Series 2019: Updated Betting Lines and Latest Odds after Washington Nationals Reach Fall Classic

The Washington Nationals ended an 86-year wait on Tuesday night by sweeping the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series.

Washington will host World Series baseball for the first time since 1933 after the Nationals clinched a 4-0 series win by defeating the Cardinals 7-4.

It marked the completion of a stunning turnaround. The Nationals were 19-31 on May 23 but won 74 of their remaining 112 games to enter the playoffs in red-hot form, before eliminating the Milwaukee Brewers in the wild card round.

Washington then pulled off the upset of the postseason by defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers—who made the World Series in the last two seasons—to set up a showdown with the Cardinals in the NLCS.

Now a different kind of wait begins, as the Nationals look to find out who they will come up against in the World Series.

The Houston Astros moved a step closer to play Washington in the Fall Classic by winning Game 3 against the New York Yankees to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

The Astros took an 2-0 lead in the first two innings as Jose Altuve and Josh Reddick homered off Luis Severino, before Gerrit Cole kept the Yankees scoreless. Houston extended its lead to 4-0 in the seventh, before the Yankees pulled one back in the eighth inning.

The 4-1 win puts the Astros two games away from a second World Series appearance in three years, while the Yankees have work to do if they are to reach the Fall Classic for the first time since 2009.

Washington Nationals, National League Championship Series
The Washington Nationals celebrate winning game four and the National League Championship Series against the St. Louis Cardinals at Nationals Park on October 15 in Washington, DC. Rob Carr/Getty

Should the Astros set up a showdown with the Nationals—FiveThirtyEight projections give Houston a 68 percent chance of making the World Series—bookmakers expect the series to be one of the closest World Series in years.

According to Fan Duel and Points Bet the Astros are 11/10 to win a second title in three seasons, while the Nationals are a 13/10 and 7/5 underdog respectively and the Yankees are 5/1 and 4/1 outsider.

FOX Bet and Bet America have the Astros at evens, with the Nationals at 6/5 and 3/2 respectively, while the Yankees are a 9/2 and 11/2 shot.

FiveThirtyEight projections also point towards a close series, giving Washington a 41 percent chance of winning the World Series, while Houston's chances stand at 40 percent. The Yankees have just a 19 percent probability of securing a 28th title, although that is largely because they find themselves 2-1 down in the American League Championship Series.

Should Washington and Houston cross path in the World Series, it would make for a fascinating matchup.

Few teams in the majors crush the ball as much as the Nationals, who scored the second-most runs in the National League this season and have been kept scoreless just once in the postseason so far.

In Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Zack Greinke, meanwhile. the Astros have arguably the most dominant starting pitchers in the majors.

Houston went 58-19 in games started by the trio this season, a winning percentage of .753.

To put the figure into context, over the course of a season that pace would have seen Houston finish with a record of 122-40.

World Series 2019: Updated Betting Lines and Latest Odds after Washington Nationals Reach Fall Classic | Sports