No, the George Floyd Memorial in Minneapolis Is Not Being Dismantled

A memorial to George Floyd in south Minneapolis, Minnesota, is not being dismantled, despite concerns after work vehicles were seen at the site early Thursday.

The area of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue, informally known as George Floyd Square, has been the location of an ongoing protest and memorial to Floyd, who was killed by police officer Derek Chauvin.

On Thursday, local media and eyewitnesses reported skid steers and flatbed trucks had been seen and a video circulated on Twitter. Barriers in the area were taken down and many social media users speculated that the city of Minneapolis was dismantling the site.

However, KSP-TV reporter Ashley Zilka, who was on the scene, reported that the city was not involved in taking down the barriers.

"We just spoke to Agape Movement. They have been a security force at George Floyd Square for past year," Zilka tweeted. "An official with the group says this was NOT organized by the city. The barricades are coming down to reopen the street to traffic; memorial will stay up."

Earlier reports about activity in the area had raised concerns that city authorities were moving to dismantle the protest zone and there was a lack of information.

"Here's what it looks like at 38th and Chicago. Crews are here dismantling barricades around George Floyd Square. Community members continue to show up. Many are angry; say they are shocked by this," Zilka reported on Thursday morning.

UPDATE: We just spoke to Agape Movement. They have been a security force at George Floyd Square for past year.

An official with the group says this was NOT organized by the city. The barricades are coming down to reopen the street to traffic; memorial will stay up. @KSTP pic.twitter.com/WJJYHgv04b

— Ashley Zilka (@ashleyzilka) June 3, 2021

The decision to take down the barricades means the area will be open to traffic for the first time since Floyd's death. The community group in charge of the memorial reportedly did not inform the mayor or city council of what would be happening Thursday morning.

Crews from Minnesota Public Works were on the scene taking down barricades.

Bill Keller, reporter with KMSP-TV, FOX 9 tweeted: "George Floyd Square being reopened; City crews working with community led effort to preserve artifacts but open streets."

Floyd's death sparked protests and demonstrations nationwide, while the location of his death became dedicated to his memory and will remain say despite worries on Thursday morning.

Chauvin was convicted of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter over Floyd's death. He is due to be sentenced on June 25. The prosecution is requesting a sentence of 30 years while Chauvin's attorneys believe he should receive a sentence of time served. The defense is also pushing for a new trial.

Newsweek has asked the city of Minneapolis for comment.

6/4/21 4.55 a.m ET: This article has been updated to include more information.

A Gardener for George Floyd Square Speaks
Jay Webb, a gardener for George Floyd Square, speaks to community at George Floyd Memorial Square on May 25, 2021 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The square is not being dismantled despite concerns on Thursday. KEREM YUCEL/AFP/Getty Images