North Korea Blasts Trump's 'Empty Promises,' Refuses to Meet With Him Again

North Korea has hit out at President Donald Trump on the second anniversary of his first meeting with dictator Kim Jong Un, questioning the value of continued negotiations and vowing to continue its military build up.

The statement issued by North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Son Gwon is another blow to Trump's North Korea outreach, which began with much fanfare but has since stagnated with limited progress made.

Negotiations on denuclearization and sanctions relief have collapsed with Pyongyang subsequently returning to the kind of belligerent rhetoric and regular weapons tests that hampered relations for so long. Kim has so far refrained from new nuclear or intercontinental ballistic missile tests, which in the past prompted Trump to threaten "fire and fury" for the country.

In Friday's statement, Ri—using the acronym for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea—questioned the "need to keep holding hands shaken in Singapore, as we see that there is nothing of factual improvement to be made in the DPRK-U.S. relations simply by maintaining personal relations between our Supreme Leadership and the U.S. President."

"In retrospect, all the practices of the present U.S. administration so far are nothing but accumulating its political achievements," Ri continued. "Never again will we provide the U.S. chief executive with another package to be used for achievements without receiving any returns. Nothing is more hypocritical than an empty promise."

The president and his supporters celebrated his three meetings with Kim—the first at the historic summit in Singapore in 2018, another at a second summit in Hanoi, Vietnam, and one along the border between North and South Korea—but they have produced little long-term success.

Trump had hoped to reach a deal with North Korea during his first term but this now appears out of the question. The president has tried to protect his meagre gains with Kim, lauding his personal relationship with the young dictator and dismissing regular North Korean weapons tests despite the concerns of U.S. allies and key members of his own administration.

Still, Pyongyang has readopted its characteristically belligerent rhetoric and consistently attacked Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. "Whenever Pompeo and other U.S. statesmen open their mouths, they make nonsensical remarks that the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula is still a secure goal of the United States," Ri said.

Ri said that any hope of improved relations "has now been shifted into despair" such that "even a slim ray of optimism for peace and prosperity on the Korean peninsula has faded away into a dark nightmare."

"The situation on the Korean peninsula is daily taking a turn for the worse," he added. Ri lamented the lack of progress in bilateral talks, dismissing Trump's claim of success as "a boast." He condemned continued joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises and reiterated Pyongyang's plans to "build up more reliable force to cope with the long-term military threats from the U.S."

"Unless the 70-plus-year deep-rooted hostile policy of the U.S. towards the DPRK is fundamentally terminated, the U.S. will as ever remain to be a long-term threat to our state, our system and our people," Ri concluded.

Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, North Korea
This file photo shows President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the start of their summit on Sentosa island in Singapore on June 12, 2018. SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images/Getty
North Korea Blasts Trump's 'Empty Promises,' Refuses to Meet With Him Again | World