Prince Andrew Caught Up In Turkish Millionaire's Fraud Lawsuit

Prince Andrew is back in the spotlight after being mentioned in a civil lawsuit filed in Britain's High Court by a Turkish millionaire who is seeking to recover tens of millions of dollars she entrusted to her former financial adviser. Andrew is not a defendant in the case and there is no suggestion of wrongdoing on his part.

The development comes as Andrew has made attempts to rehabilitate his public image after settling a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by Virginia Giuffre. The prince denied the allegations but stepped down as a working member of the royal family as a result. Andrew appeared alongside Queen Elizabeth II at the memorial service for his father on Tuesday in his first major public appearance since the case was settled earlier this year.

According to court documents seen by The Telegraph, Nebahat Evyap Isbilen, 76, the wife of a prominent Turkish politician jailed after a failed coup attempt in 2016, alleges that she was deceived by her financial adviser Selman Turk—to whom she had entrusted the management of her $87.5 million personal fortune—into sending money to Prince Andrew.

After fleeing Turkey for the United Kingdom, Isbilen was allegedly told by Turk that she needed to make a nearly $900,000 (£750,000) gift to Andrew for assistance in obtaining a new Turkish passport after she left hers in her home country. Court documents allegedly show a payment was made by Isbilen to the prince on November 15, 2019.

The Telegraph said it was not known what Andrew was told as an explanation for why the money was going into his personal account.

A court document written by Deputy High Court Judge Stuart Isaacs as part of the case, seen by Newsweek, refers to a "£750,000 payment which Mr. Turk fraudulently told her she needed to make in connection with the provision of assistance in relation to her Turkish passport."

The payment occurred nine days after Turk was given the People's Choice Award by Andrew at an entrepreneurship event started by the prince known as Pitch@Palace. The payment also came just days before the Prince's damning BBC Newsnight interview regarding his relationship with the notorious pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

According to court documents seen by The Telegraph, Isbilen alleges that claims made by Turk in connection with Andrew were false. Her claim alleges: "The representation that Mrs Isbilen needed to make a gift to HRH The Duke of York in connection with her passport (or for any other purpose) was false, and Mr Turk made it dishonestly, knowing it to be false and intending Mrs Isbilen to rely on it."

Despite no implication of wrongdoing on the part of the prince, the payment was made to a bank account associated with him in 2019. According to an affidavit seen by the newspaper, filed by Isbilen's lawyer Jonathan Tickner, the prince declined to provide detailed financial records of any dealings he had with Turk. Instead the full sum of £750,000 was paid back to Isbilen when he was notified of the case.

Isbilen's lawyer alleges that further payments were made to Andrew and to an account in the name of Andrew's ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, from a company allegedly linked to Turk. There is no suggestion of wrongdoing by Ferguson.

Isbilen's lawyers applied successfully to the U.K. High Court to obtain a worldwide freezing order against Turk in the sum of £40 million ($52 million), according to The Telegraph.

Turk, a founder of the Heyman AI banking group, has denied allegations of wrongdoing. The legal case is ongoing and no trial has yet been held.

Isbilen's lawyer Tickner, head of fraud and commercial disputes for Peters & Peters, told Newsweek:

"Mrs Isbilen is the victim of serious fraud and financial wrongdoing carried out at the hands of Selman Turk, a man she trusted to help her through extremely difficult circumstances. He abused her trust and she has brought her claim in the High Court to recover the money taken from her. The Court documents and decisions given in her case to date, speak for themselves. She is determined to prosecute her claims against all those involved in the fraud."

Prince Andrew has made no official comment regarding the matter.

Newsweek has approached Turk, Prince Andrew and Ferguson for comment.

For more royal news and commentary check out Newsweek's The Royal Report podcast:
Prince Andrew New Case
Prince Andrew's name has cropped up in a legal dispute between a Turkish millionaire and her financial adviser from whom she is seeking to reclaim tens of millions of dollars. Photographed at the memorial service for Prince Philip, March 29, 2022. Richard Pohle/POOL/AFP via Getty Images