Prince Harry Denies Report He Is Writing Second Book After Queen's Death

Prince Harry has rejected claims he is writing a second memoir to be published after his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, dies.

The Daily Mail reported on Friday that the Duke of Sussex had a second memoir in the works which publishers Penguin Random House were planning to release after the Queen's death.

It was also reported that Prince Harry had signed a four-book deal with the publishers.

However, a spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex rubbished any suggestion a second memoir is being planned, branding the claims as "false media reports" in a statement to The Independent.

They added that Prince Harry only has one memoir in the works, which is the one due to be published in late 2022.

Penguin Random House announced plans for the book on Monday.

The memoir, which the duke is writing in collaboration with ghostwriter JR Moehringer, has been billed by the publisher as "an intimate and heartfelt memoir from one of the most fascinating and influential global figures of our time."

"Prince Harry will share, for the very first time, the definitive account of the experiences, adventures, losses, and life lessons that have helped shape him," they said.

Breaking news! Penguin Random House is honored to announce a forthcoming memoir by Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex, to be published globally in late 2022. pic.twitter.com/OhcMODcIQp

— Penguin Books UK (@PenguinUKBooks) July 19, 2021

According to the BBC, the duke spoke with the royal family about his plans to write the book prior to announcing the news.

A spokesperson told the broadcaster Prince Harry "would not be expected to obtain permission for the project from Buckingham Palace."

The financial terms of the book deal have not been made public, however, Penguin Random House has said the duke will be donating the proceeds to charity.

Prince Harry standing on stage.
Prince Harry speaking during Global Citizen VAX LIVE Concert - the British royal has rejected claims he is planning a second book. Kevin Winter/Getty

The publisher says the book will offer insight on Prince Harry's childhood, his time in the military, and his experiences as a husband and father.

"I'm writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become," Prince Harry explained in a statement accompanying the announcement.

"I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story—the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned—I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.

"I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I've learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that's accurate and wholly truthful."

The plans for the book have sparked speculation the duke could reveal the identity of the Royal family member who, according to Meghan Markle, expressed "concerns" about the color of their son Archie's skin before he was born.

Markle told Oprah Winfrey back in March there were "concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born."

Writing in the Daily Mail, royal expert Richard Kay predicted the book would address the "truth bombs" made by the couple during their two-hour CBS interview with Winfrey.

"In order to justify the vast sums that are being bandied around, it can only be one thing: the book will be a tell-all," he said.

Newsweek has reached out to the royal family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for comment.