Russian Commander Suffers Serious Injuries After Fire Attack on HQ—Ukraine

A Russian commander was seriously injured in Ukraine this week, according to the Ukrainian military.

Major General Oleg Tsokov, Commander of the 144th Motorized Rifle Division, was reportedly wounded in a Ukrainian "fire attack" at his HQ near Svatove, in partially occupied Luhansk region.

Russian Major General Tsokov injured in Ukraine
Ukrainian soldiers ride an armored vehicle in eastern Ukraine, on September 22, 2022. Russian Major General Tsokov was injured in Luhansk province, according to the Ukrainian military. JUAN BARRETO/AFP/GETTY

Russia has lost a number of generals in Ukrainian attacks since Putin's invasion began on February 24, with Western officials saying they are forced to the frontline by poor moral and discipline among Russian troops. Ukrainian forces were already claiming to have killed at least 12 Russian generals by early May, according to The New York Times.

The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine wrote on Facebook that Major General Tsokov had been injured as part of their latest "operation update" on the war, published on Thursday.

The post read: "The enemy continues to suffer losses, in particular among the leadership.

"According to available information, the commander of the 144th Motorized Rifle Division of the 20th Combined Arms Army, Major General Tsokov, was wounded as a result of a fire attack in the area of ​​the settlement of Svatove. It was evacuated on September 20 of this year."

The Ukrainian military typically describes a "fire attack" as one carried out either by artillery or rocket launchers, such as the HIMARS system that has devastated Russian ammunition depots.

Over the past 24 hours, Russia shelled at least 45 Ukrainian settlements, primarily in the eastern region of the Donbas, according to the operational update on Facebook.

During this time period, the Russians said 27 airstrikes and 75 multiple launch rocket system strikes were conducted, targeting both "military and civilian objects."

The update said Russia is continuing to suffer heavy losses and has been forcing men in occupied Ukrainian territory to join its military or allied militias.

The post read: "From September 19 to 20 this year, 105 bodies of dead Russian servicemen were delivered to the military hospital in Rostov-on-Don, preparations are underway to receive another 200 bodies in the near future.

"To replenish manpower losses, the enemy continues forced mobilization in temporarily occupied territories. Thus, in Horlivka, on September 19, representatives of the 1st Army Corps detained and took ten men to military service, regardless of their age or health."

The U.S. has been supplying Ukraine with intelligence to help with these strikes, according to senior American officials speaking to The New York Times.

On Wednesday, President Putin announced a partial mobilization, which will see 300,000 Russian reservists conscripted back into the military.

Referendums will be held in the Russian-controlled parts of Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia on formally joining the Russian Federation, though these have been rejected as shams by Western officials.

According to Novaya Gazeta Europe, an independent Russian newspaper, a hidden clause in Putin's mobilization decree will allow the military to draft 1 million people, rather than the 300,000 claimed by Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu.

Newsweek has contacted the Russian Foreign Ministry for comment.