Dec. 12 Issue
California dreaming? As our new cover story reveals, the state's plan to phase out sales of new gas guzzlers by 2035 in favor of electric cars is bold, visionary—and highly risky, given ongoing problems with the power grid. Could saving the planet come at the cost of a reliable drive?
"Cheap and abundant energy is central to our lives and economy. Any policy that increases energy costs is going to put the tradeoffs of that policy into stark relief," David Rapson, co-director of the University of California Davis Energy Economics.
- Newsweek magazine delivered to your door
- Unlimited access to Newsweek.com
- Ad free Newsweek.com experience
- iOS and Android app access
- All newsletters + podcasts